Sunday, December 18, 2016

Hamildolph

I rarely have my fingers on the pulse of what's cool. For instance, I've just discovered Hamilton. Now I'm obsessed. I'm like "Hey guys, have you heard about this new little musical on Broadway about Alexander Hamilton?" "Oh you have...ya, me too..." I listen to Hamilton in the gym, in my car, in the bathroom. I force my kids to listen to it. I read them the Federalist Papers before they go to bed. We wear powdered wigs. We are ALL IN.

In addition to the original cast recording of Hamilton, I've also been listening The Hamilton Mixtape. It is so, so good. Artists like The Roots, Ashanti and Ja Rule, Sia, Usher, Kelly Clarkson, John Legend, and many more cover and re-envision songs from Hamilton. It's a modern day love letter to Lin-Manuel Miranda and it's fabulous. I challenge you to listen to Kelly Clarkson's "It's Quiet Uptown" and not get verchlempt. If you don't, you have a empty soul.


In light of the holidays and my Hamilton obsession, here is a funny video that my Facebook friend shared yesterday (Thanks, Brianna)! It is perfection.


And for all of you history buffs- here are some clips from Drunk History featuring Lin-Manuel Miranda and his sloppy take on Alexander Hamilton, Aaron Burr, and the whole gang from the Revolutionary War. I wish I could post the whole episode, because it's really funny (Damn you, Comedy Central for not letting me embed the whole damn thing). You can watch the full episode on the Comedy Central website.


Here's Kelly Clarkson singing It's Quiet Uptown, totally unplugged in her living room. Her voice penetrates the emotional centers in my brain like none other...it's why I call her the Hippocampus Tickler.

No comments:

Post a Comment